Thursday, July 10, 2014

My Attempt At Making Sugarless Marshmallows

  Last night, I made cream cheese. Actually, it is an all day process, but it is worth it when it turns out. Mine didn't turn out right this time, and I don't know why. I'm sure it's edible, and I will make sure it gets eaten or incorporated into other food items because it is expensive to make and I don't like to waste expensive food.

  Tonight I made sugarless marshmallows. I have never made marshmallows before, so I didn't know what to expect. My cooking thermometer only goes up to 220 degrees, and the directions said to let the mixture come to 240 degrees before pouring into the gelatin mixture. Hmmm.

  It took what seemed like forever to get the honey mixture to come to 240 degrees. I assumed that as the temperature rose, the dial would just go around the circle again, and it did that. I needed only 20 more degrees and I guessed at where it would be on the temperature gauge face.

   It really did look like marshmallow fluff after I mixed it for several minutes. I poured it in a cookie sheet pan and it appears to have turned out. I have to leave it out, uncovered for 4 - 12 hours now. That presents a problem because we have fruit flies in the house. I found a fruit fly walking on top of the just poured marshmallow mixture, but I got him off. Nothing would be worse than having maggots on your marshmallows!

   I put the marshmallow mixture inside an oven for protection from the fruit flies. Hopefully, the marshmallows will fare better than the cream cheese did.

I want to make marshmallows and
coat them in chocolate for the
grandchildren. Whatever they
don't eat, I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment