Friday, July 25, 2014

If You Come To My House To Dine...

  If you come to my house to dine, you may be surprised at what you will be served! But don't be afraid. Whatever I make has had considerable thought put into it, and almost everything I make I consider to be a 'safe food'. (I will have to list the standard I have for what I consider to be a 'safe food' item.).

   One time, we had some guests over, and the man was commenting that he had never had goat's milk before. Should I tell him? We were eating pudding made with goat's milk! Well, pudding made with goat's milk doesn't really taste any different than pudding made with cow's milk, but it is udderly rich! Most of the time, the goat's milk comes raw, from a local farm. Despite what some might think, it doesn't smell like excrement from an animal!

   Yes, I also make my own pasta, usually. Did you know that many who suffer from gluten intolerance can handle eating bread products in Italy? If I make my own pasta, I make it with pure semolina. If I use pasta from the store, I make sure it is imported. No more cheap pasta for us or our friends who visit!

  I also make my own spaghetti sauce. Now, instead of using canned tomatoes, I use organic tomatoes to make the sauce with. I still use tomato paste from the can though, but am working on growing paste tomatoes and making them into a paste.

   I have posted on another blog, the results of the root beer making. It ended up tasting good, except it wasn't very sweet, so I added Stevia to the finished product.
http://healthtipsrecipes.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-results-of-homemade-root-beer-are-in.html

Here is a basic recipe for pudding made with goat's milk:

Pudding

* 2 cups goat's milk (or coconut milk)
* 1/3 cup sugar (I use liquid Stevia or xylitol, to taste)
* 2 egg yolks
* 2 TBS. cornstarch or thickening agent
* Melted Butter (maybe about 2 TBS.)
* 1 tsp. vanilla extract

  Combine milk, egg yolks, sweeteners, and cornstarch in a blender or use a mixer. Pour into a medium sized saucepan and cook on medium heat until the mixture starts to boil. When it does start to boil, let it slowly boil for about a minute, then remove the pot from the stove and add melted butter and vanilla extract. Pour into pudding dishes or a glass bowl. Serves 4 or 5. Original recipe comes from the Betty Crocker cookbook.
  If you want to make chocolate pudding, increase sugar to 1/2 cup and add 1/3 cup of powdered chocolate to the blender. Adding the melted butter at the end is not necessary.
  I personally like the skin on top of the pudding, and I like to eat the pudding warm, but you can either place waxed paper over the top or just remove the skin after it cools. Refrigerate pudding if it is going to be served later on.
  Also, I have recently used the Vitamix to blend the ingredients, and I have noticed that there is no skin on the tops of the puddings when I make it this way. You can also just use a whisk to blend the ingredients, but using a whisk could leave some lumps in the pudding.
  The butter doesn't have to be melted, but it will incorporate more easily if it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment