Friday, August 22, 2014

A Simple Meal - Ham and Noodles

  I like this recipe because it is easy, inexpensive, and a family tradition for me. My grandmother made this as well as my mom, but the original idea for this recipe comes from my great grandmother, who came from Austria.

Ham and Noodles

8-10 ounces noodles*
4-6 ounces of ham**
A slice of onion, minced
1 stick butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
Bavarian Seasoning Mixture***, to taste (optional)

  Cook noodles according to directions on package. While noodles are cooking, cut up ham and onion, and on medium heat, melt half of the stick of butter in a skillet. Add the ham and onions, and let cook until onions are soft.
  When noodles are finished cooking, drain well, then add them to the skillet with the ham and onions. Cook until the mixture is heated through. You can cook this much longer if you like your noodles to be crispy.
  When ham and noodles are done to your liking, add salt, pepper, and seasoning if you are using them. If the noodles are sticking to the pan, add the other half of the stick of butter.

* You can also make your own noodles and cook them in boiling water before adding them to the ham and onions. It really doesn't matter what size noodles you use. Use whichever type you prefer.
** You can use leftover ham, or, you can get ham that is sliced in the deli. I get mine already packaged from places that do not add nitrates or nitrates, which are known to be harmful. When my grandmother made this, the ham was in chunks (which was my preference), but since I don't normally make a ham, I have to buy mine sliced which makes the ham much thinner and smaller. That is also a matter of preference as well though.
*** I ordered this from Penzey's. It made the meal more authentic, but it is not necessary to put in.

Note: The measurements in this recipe can be changed around to your preferences. You can add more meat if you want, or even more noodles. There is no set rules for this recipe. I don't use measurements when I make it, so feel free to change amounts around, or even double or triple the recipe if needed. Three-fourths of a standard size bag of noodles, 4-6 ounces of ham and a little bit of onion feeds the three adults at my house fairly well.

Guten Apetit! Ham and Noodles make a lovely dinner entree

No comments:

Post a Comment