Friday, October 23, 2015

Tip On Protecting Glass From Breaking While Cooking

This might seem a little silly, but maybe it really isn't. I was taught from a young age, never to pour hot liquid into a cold bowl or cup, if it is made out of glass. Of course, I didn't always remember this and I have to be honest and tell you that I did break a couple of glass items simply because I forgot at the moment!

This rule obviously will also apply to the reverse; never pour cold water into a glass bowl or cup that is hot. The same thing will happen. The glass item will break.

Some of us have to learn the hard way. Not everyone was taught this. But now you have no excuse if you decide (or forget) that differing temperatures can cause glass to break! Keep this in mind next time you are tempted to pour hot or cold liquid into something made of glass.

Even a slow cooker you have to be careful with. I was doing that today, and did remember that there is a possibility that the crock could break if the cool water hits it. I poured the water on the items that were cooking so at least the water would hit the food before it gets to the crock. Everything turned out fine and the crock did not break.

No comments:

Post a Comment