Friday, February 20, 2015

Recipe For Greek Yogurt Pancakes

Cooking really can be fun, especially if you have a goal in mind. Many really do not like to cook, but when you consider how much more nourishing food is when you make it yourself, that should be enough incentive to learn how to cook, at least some things.

I found this recipe for Greek Yogurt Pancakes here: http://lecremedelacrumb.com/2014/12/greek-yogurt-pancakes.html
and you might find this a good recipe and way to incorporate healthful ingredients. I know many cannot handle wheat products so perhaps you can substitute the flour for gluten free flour.

  This recipe calls for Greek Yogurt, which I have been making for a couple of years now, but I never knew what I could do with it, except to have beef marinate in it for a couple of days to make it tender. Now, I have another use for it! (I actually do not care for yogurt mixed with fruit, and will not buy the stuff in the store because I know it has sugar in it as well as other undesirable ingredients).

  I will share this recipe from 'Creme De La Crumb'. It says that it makes 4 servings. I would use coconut sugar if you want to use sugar at all. If you insist on using regular sugar, you can always buy organic sugar.

Greek Yogurt Pancakes


  • 1½ cups all purpose flour (or whole wheat flour)
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (optional, I like the extra touch of sweetness but they're healthier if you leave it out)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (or ½ teaspoon almond extract)
  • ¾ cup plain greek yogurt (or vanilla greek yogurt)
  • ¾ cup milk (I used fat free half & half)
  • topping suggestions: syrup, powdered sugar, honey, fruit, etc
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat a pan or griddle to 325 (medium heat). Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In another bowl, mix oil, eggs, vanilla, and greek yogurt.
  2. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir. Stir in milk until all ingredients are combined - don't over mix, there should still be a few lumps.
  3. Grease griddle and pour ¼ - ⅓ cup batter onto the griddle. Allow to cook for about 2 minutes or until edges begin to look "dry" and bubbles form in the batter. Use a thin spatula to flip the pancake over and allow to cook for a mother minute. Transfer to a platter and continue with remaining batter.
  4. Top pancakes with desired toppings such as syrup, powdered sugar, honey, and fruit.

You can also soak the wheat if you desire. I am not an expert on this, but I guess you mix it with the liquid in the recipe and leave it to sit on the counter overnight. I can't wait to try this recipe. You can also just buy the yogurt at the store, but, if you have a yogurt maker, you can make your own at home. You can get the culture for Greek Yogurt from 'Cultures For Health' (http://www.culturesforhealth.com/ ). They have a good selection of all kinds of cultures, as well as instructions on how to culture food and make cheese. If you want to be more adventurous, you could get your own yogurt machine (amazon.com has lots to pick from). I have two yogurt machines, and after contemplating what I really would want in a machine, I decided I like the machines that use glass jars in making the yogurt. Here are a couple of yogurt making machines from amazon:


I have this yogurt maker and it
must be 30 years old or so. I
still use it regularly.
I have one similar to this, and
it makes one quart instead of
individual jars. 
                          

1 comment: