Sunday, September 28, 2014

Easy To Make Caramel Sauce or Caramel

   Several months ago, I was looking at recipes to make caramel sauce, but without using sugar. I found that you could make caramel by boiling down fruit juice, such as apple or pear cider. The first time I made this, I cooked it too long and now it is stuck in the jar!

   I decided that I would make it again using pear cider and with more careful observation. Instead of letting it boil though, it was on a soft simmer for a long time and nothing was happening. Finally, I decided to turn up the heat and let it boil down some more. Not wanting to end up with taffy again, I took it off the stove and poured it into a small Mason jar. This time it turned out more like syrup. It is extremely sweet though, and makes a good topping for ice cream or anywhere you want to use a sweet syrup with.

  Here's how to make syrup or caramel:

Take about 2 cups of cider (pear cider is good) and let it boil down on a slow simmer. Keep an eye on it as it boils by checking often. Don't do the mistake I did by letting it continue to boil over an extended amount of time. Nothing was happening, so I decided to let it continue to boil softly for a while more. By the time I came back to pour it into the jar, it was somewhat hardened. The sauce will become thick as it boils down.

Here is where I got the original recipe for this: http://www.greenthickies.com/how-to-make-caramel-syrup-honey-sugar-free-vegan/

Yes, now you can have your caramel and eat it too!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Thanks for following me on Twitter. I love your blog and recipes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Bea! Sadly, I was checking my spam box and found this comment in there :( . I am glad you love the blog and recipes. Pray that I will continue to do this well. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete